home  who we are what we do join us   contact us in the past the present

in the future

 

 

history

 

 

In 1885 the Vestry of the Parish of St Mary Islington (the forerunner of the Council) and the Metropolitan Board of Works shared the huge cost then of £60,000 to buy the land that was to become Highbury Fields.

 

 

The Act of Parliament that year stated:  

Highbury Place and Highbury Fields circa 1840

 

Subject to the provisions of the Act the Board may appropriate and maintain in the Parish of St Mary Islington as an open space to be dedicated to the perpetual use thereof by the public for exercise and recreation as by this Act provided the lands known as ‘Highbury Fields’ (and which are hereinafter referred to as ‘Highbury Fields’) which are delineated on the deposited plans…and shall hold and maintain Highbury Fields as and when they obtain actual possession of the same for the perpetual use thereof by the public for exercise and recreation…”

 

circa 1912

 

On 24th December 1885 there was a great celebration when Highbury Fields were declared,

“open to the public henceforth and for ever.”

 

        back to:        home        in the past